Sunday, June 7, 2009

La Piazzeta - Barraquilla, Colombia

Veg Options
Taste

La Piazzeta came recommended as the best Italian in Barranquilla. Like most italian restaurants, La Piazzeta had a good number of vegetarian options in the appetizers, soups and pasta sections. We got there pretty late, but the place was still jam packed. Ernesto knew the owner Michel (that's a guy) pretty well and we managed to get a table without too much of a wait.


The bruschetta was positively the best I had had anywhere. The basil, tomatoes, olives and warm melting cheese on the crispy ciabatta roll tasted nothing like any bruschetta I had eaten anywhere else. I was going to make a meal out of it but Ernesto convinced me that better was yet to come.



Coming from India, I was a bit of a novelty wherever I went and it was no different here. Michel was quite eager to prepare something 'spicy' to my taste. The vegetable gnocchi pasta _was_ good (not really spicy but I could feel the peppery finish) and ranked among the better gnocchi preparations I've eaten. I also got a chance to taste Ernesto's staple over there - the Pizza Rey David. The 'Rey David' is a house specialty sauce and goes into pizzas and pastas. While it is also a tomato based sauce, it had an uncommon flavor and richness to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment